PDA

View Full Version : Staying motivated

Green-Moo
02-16-2008, 11:27 PM
How do you stay motivated? i'm very good at making resolutions, but also very good at letting them lapse!

Green-Moo

SageMother
02-16-2008, 11:47 PM
The best way to stay motivated is to go with your natural rythym. You aren't going to perform the same way everyday because you are not a machine. Set small, easily attainable goals.

debrajean
02-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Exactly right sagemother. Setting small goals is easier to accomplish and succeed at. This gives us the encouragement we need to keep at it.

Jewel
02-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Good idea - it is better to make small adjustments to your schedule and smaller goals than to jump into something unattainable.

tater03
02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Those are great suggestions. I tend to also start good on resolutions and then tend to break them. I have since just given up on even making any.

trick-r-treat
02-18-2008, 02:38 AM
When you decide to do something, you just have to really mean it, or it won't work. Just like I always said that I wanted to quit smoking and then would start right back up again. Well, the day that I really meant it, I knew it. It was just different. I finally REALLY wanted to quit. And so I did, end of story. That was 8 years ago. I had smoked for 25 years. Just be honest with yourself - it will happen when you are really ready.

SageMother
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Something else to remember to do:

When you make resolutions, include some pleasure items. If you vow to exercies then balance with a vow to redecorate or go to a spa once a month.

Balance your pain with pleasure.

riskey58
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I have a hard time starting diets and other things and then I lose all motivation. I think it is important to set a goal for yourself. That way you have something to work towards.

Calypso
02-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I hate, hate, hate and absolutely loathe exercise, so it is very hard for me to get motivated and stay motivated to do it. It helps if I reward myself frequently with things I enjoy doing, like going to the bookstore or taking in a new release movie with friends. It also helps if I have a specific goal in mind, like wanting to be able to take walks with my family when I visit them or wanting to be in good shape for an upcoming vacation.

Green-Moo
02-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Calypso, I'm with you when it comes to hating exercise. But it's only exercise for it's own sake that I hate! I don't think of things like walking the dogs or gardening as being exercise, so I manage to do them without getting that mental block thing going on which is so demotivating.

RFL1986
02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
That's very true. The best exercise in terms of longevity and enjoyment comes from doing activities that you like. Try going swimming or going for long walks toward a destination that you'd be happy to arrive at.

karynmonk
11-20-2010, 04:41 PM
When you decide to do something, you just really, or it will not work. As I always said I wanted to quit, then would be a good start again. Well, the day I really meant, I knew it. It also helps if I have a specific goal in mind, who simply want to be able to take walks with my family when I visit them, or if you want to be in good shape for the upcoming holidays.