PDA

View Full Version : Diet & Monthly Mood swings

Green-Moo
02-14-2008, 11:57 PM
I'd like to know if there are certain foods which would help me to avoid the sudden mood swings I can be subject to around the time of my monthly period.

Green-Moo

tater03
02-15-2008, 10:49 PM
I to would love to know this also and so would my husband. lol. I get terrible mood swings. Hopefully someone on here will have some suggestions.

Calypso
02-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Sorry, my mood swings didn't even out until after I had my hysterectomy and the hormones stopped fluctuting every month. Yet another benefit of menopause. :)

This probably isn't the right thing to say on a nutrition board, but the only foods that ever made me feel better during hormonal mood swings were the traditional "comfort foods"--soft crescent rolls, mashed potatoes, fried chicken or steak, etc. I noticed I especially craved meat during my periods. Wonder what that was about?

Jewel
02-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Calypso, I'm surprised to see that somebody else also craves meat when they are on their period. I am exactly the same way. The only foods that really calm me down are unhealthy ones, plus iced tea.

SageMother
02-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I think higher doses of vitamin B supplements work well. Something else to think about :

It could be your spouse or boyufriend does things that are annoying and, usually, you have the patience to ignore or deal withim. It might not be your time of month as much as it is just your patience wearing out, and everyone saying it is that time of month to keep from, having to change their irritating behavior.

I have seen this happen OFTEN!

riskey58
02-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Calypso, I'm surprised to see that somebody else also craves meat when they are on their period. I am exactly the same way. The only foods that really calm me down are unhealthy ones, plus iced tea.

I agree unhealthy foods always what seemed to help me with my mood swings. Now I am older and don't have to worry about that anymore. The only thing is I can't blame my mood swings on anything else but me now.

Green-Moo
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I noticed I especially craved meat during my periods. Wonder what that was about?

I suppose that it is logical that if you are losing blood, your body needs to replace it. And what better place to find the components of blood than in meat?!

When I have my period I sometimes crave 'heavy' food, particularly pasta. It was the same when I was pregnant, though I could have eaten cakes all day too then.

MrsH
02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I agree with Green-moo; craving meat during your period makes sense since you are losing blood.

I'm craving chocolate during that time and find it so hard to limit myself. I have heard that if you crave chocolate you are really low on magnesium so I should try to find another (and healthier) source to get my magnesium..so far the chocolate is just easier.

kimbarker
07-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi all,
A little advice...cut out the sugar and refined carbs and you may find your mood swings disappear. I had horrible pms, of the Jekyl and Hyde variety, and it disappeared after cutting out sugar and refined carbs and increasing good proteins. It was hard to do but so worth it. It may also have to do with hormonal balance.
Kim

Bevan
09-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Herbal Supplements are an important part of today’s comprehensive health maintenance. Whole food supplements are the most effective form of herbal supplements. Many herbal supplement products are processed using high heat extraction methods which can destroy the active ingredient. In addition, many products are single ingredient herbal supplements in which only the most active component is packaged.

shane90
03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
I think you need to take some sort of soft drink to maintain your mood stable and cool.. their herbal supplements which can be use to avoid mood swing..........

khanasrar67
01-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Mood swings are commonly associated with mood disorders including bipolar disorder (manic depression and depression. Another major factor in mood swings can be hyperactivity or hyperactivity/inattentiveness as is sometimes seen in ADHD. More commonly mood swings can be a result of dealing with daily life.