PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Medicine For ADHD

tater03
02-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Has anyone heard of any alternative medicines for ADHD? I just would like to do some research on any if anyone happens to have heard of any? Thanks.

greenbaglady
02-04-2008, 02:08 AM
i read not long ago that deficiancies in zinc which you can get from fish whole grain and peas, can inhibit cognitive development. Pushing more zinc and vitamin B and B1 magnesium, and vit.C will regulate neurotransmitters.
Provide essential fatty acids like cooking with olive oil, canola oil, fish oil.
lots of antioxidants too! strawberries are rich in them ;)

SageMother
02-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I haven't seen any studies, but having worked with ADHD kids, I would caution against spending a lot of time treating with alternatives. I have watched kids' lives spiral out of control while hte parents insisted on using alternative methods, instead of getting a strong enough medication to get the child on track.

MrsH
02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Some random guy in the supermarket once gave me a lecture about all the bad food you could get. He said he was watching very closely what was in the food he bought for his kids. He claimed that all this e-stuff (added stuff, color and taste) made them all hyper. So maybe a more healthy diet with more meals made from 'scratch' is the way to go.

SageMother
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Some random guy in the supermarket once gave me a lecture about all the bad food you could get. He said he was watching very closely what was in the food he bought for his kids. He claimed that all this e-stuff (added stuff, color and taste) made them all hyper. So maybe a more healthy diet with more meals made from 'scratch' is the way to go.

I think that these tales of woe are a little much. Even though we don't truly need all the colors and additives, they probably aren't a basis for behavior issues. Some ADHD is genetic, some is the result of trauma, and the rest is probably due to a lack of discipline, IMHO.

LOL

tater03
02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
I have no problem with using medication for it but I cannot just jump in without investigating other options first. I do believe that in a lot of the case that medication is needed but like the idea of seeing what other studies have been done on it.

SageMother
02-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Some children respond well to coffee. It tends to calm people who haven't reached puberty. The trick is finding how much works, and it doesn't work for all kids.

kennyjoyy
09-14-2010, 06:12 AM
There are now a much larger choice among stimulants that can be used to treat ADHD. Many of the newer medications have the advantage that they only need to be given once a day and can last for up to 12 hours. The latest medication to get approval to treat ADHD is Vyvanse, a long acting stimulant that is similar to Adderall.

princehallowen22
11-01-2010, 01:49 PM
People with ADHD has been scientifically proven to certain nutrients. The most common are fatty acids, which can be found, for example, fish oils and the minerals zinc, magnesium and iron.