PDA

View Full Version : hiden veggies recipes

MrsH
01-22-2008, 07:55 AM
3plus3 mention in another tread that she will 'hide' veggies in food so that her kids will eat it. One of the tricks was zucchini in chocolate cake. Now, I think I hve mention 1 or maybe 2 times before :p that I love chocolate. So 3plus3 - do you care do share that recipe? And for the rest of you, do you want to share your 'tricks' of you are doing similar things?

baldmonkee
01-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Thankfully my kids aren't that difficult when it comes to eating veggies, but if I think it's going to be a diifcult night I'll make spaghetti and throw some extra veggies in with the sauce: onions, peppers or broccoli in alfredo sauce. That will usually do the trick

Liza
01-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't have any tricks yet since my baby is still very young and he likes mos veggies so far. But I am taking notes because I know the time may come when I need them.

tater03
01-25-2008, 08:32 PM
I have thought about doing something like this but I would really have to blend the vegetables in because if my oldest son even sees a speck of green or orange he says he automatically doesn't like it. I can get him to try it at least but the majority of the time he still don't like it.

debrajean
01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
My son actually likes his veggies, yayyy! But they have to be raw. Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, cukes...all the garden variety types. Summer is great for us.

SageMother
01-27-2008, 05:21 PM
I never tricked my kids into eating anything because I didn'twant them to grow up thinking everything had to be their own idea. I also think the need for trust is more important than their doing what they need to do without conflict.

When presented with items that may be difficult to eat, they could add a bit of that item on the fork with something they found easier to eat, but everything hit the plate in a recognizable form. They knew I would never try to trick them into doing things.

fiona
01-28-2008, 05:47 AM
I remember there was a book out by Seinfeld's wife that had recipes and ways to hide the vegetables in their meals.

Jewel
02-10-2008, 03:03 AM
I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to hide vegetables in other foods. I remember my father serving us liver and telling us that it was steak, and when I found out, I never trusted him about food again. Trust can be broken easily with children, I believe.

MrsH
02-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I was thinking more about us. Hide veggies in other dishes as a way of getting more veggies in our diet.

Jewel
02-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Ah, thanks for clearing that up MrsH. I have no problem hiding fruits and vegetables as long as everybody else knows about it. :)

fiona
02-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Aah I do not think that would work well with me as I would already know where the vegetables are :D .

Jewel
02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't care if I know that they are there, so long as they taste like they aren't there. But then again I guess it depends on the type of vegetable.

katharina
02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
My son actually likes his veggies, yayyy! But they have to be raw. Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, cukes...all the garden variety types. Summer is great for us.

I never had a problem with my daughter and veggies either (well, except for brussels sprouts) :) so I didn't have to "hide" anything. I'm not really sure I would have done that anyhow. She likes the cooked, though, and not the raw variety.

katharina
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to hide vegetables in other foods. I remember my father serving us liver and telling us that it was steak, and when I found out, I never trusted him about food again. Trust can be broken easily with children, I believe.

It is easily broken, yes. They are so trusting. I was never tricked into eating things and I haven't done that either. I remember not liking things and being told to just try it to see if maybe I could like it. Sometimes it took many tries over the years (peas and chili come to mind :) ) but it worked... I enjoy chili and peas very much now. :D

Calypso
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I wish I could find some foods that disguise the taste of vegetables for myself. I've always been a picky eater, and even when I was a kid I couldn't stand the taste of most vegetables. My mother had to do some pretty fast talking to keep me healthy. :)

Green-Moo
02-15-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm another one who doesn't really go with the idea of sneaking veggies into things, but I have a vegetarian friend who is expert at it. She has to be, as her vegetarian son refuses to eat veggies. Her favourite is carrot grated into (fake) sausage rolls. Even I can't tell it's there even though I know it is.

When her son is here I either blend everything into a pasta sauce as has already been suggested, or just live with it & thank heavens he's not my kid.

Green-Moo

riskey58
02-15-2008, 11:05 PM

Feel really lucky. Most of the time you have to force them to even try them. Be happy be proud.

Jewel
02-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I very seldomly come across a kid who actually likes their vegetables, but I guess when you do come across one, it's easy to cook for them. I always loved broccoli and zucchini. :)

debrajean
02-17-2008, 01:53 AM

My father did this to me once as well. Telling me that black olives were fish eyes and that they were watching you as you ate them. I was so little that I was actually scared and to this day I absolutely refuse to eat any kind of olives.

debrajean
02-17-2008, 01:55 AM
I very seldomly come across a kid who actually likes their vegetables, but I guess when you do come across one, it's easy to cook for them. I always loved broccoli and zucchini. :)

I was never fond of zucchini until a friend of mine brought me some zucchini bread she'd made and it was sooo good! Now when I have a giant zucchini I scan my recipe book for new ways to cook it.

lakirarodricks
10-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Luckily my kids are not so difficult when it comes to eating vegetables, but if I think it will be a night Ill make diifcult spaghetti and throw extra vegetables in the sauce, onions, peppers and broccoli in Alfredo sauce. There is usually the case

dotjc
12-14-2010, 04:15 AM
I like to put lots of veges in any thing I can just because I think they are good for us. Stir fries and salads are great ways to reduce the amount of meat we eat.
I used to find that by cooking mixed veges (cut up small but still recognizable) my kids used to eat pretty well any veges without picking out any thing.

I would probably go for more salads now most veges taste better raw, things like pumpkin are nice raw grated in salad etc. I used to hate pumpkin as a kid and had never tasted it raw. :)