PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil

tater03
01-18-2008, 11:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here has used this and if it is good at preventing plaque like they say it is? I was in the pharmacy today and the pharmacist was recommending this to someone and he was saying that it helps with this. I had never knew this and was wondering what you guys might know about this? thanks.

lovetochat
01-18-2008, 11:56 PM
That is interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Isn't it meant to be very good for kids, make them super-clever or something?

tater03
01-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Wow, that was quick. I don't know I have never heard of that either. I have two sons so I will have to do some research on this. Thanks.

Lyndsey
01-19-2008, 04:06 AM
I know someone who gives her hyperactive daughter these supplements. She says it helps keep her more focused and calm.

MrsH
01-19-2008, 07:57 AM
From what friends have told me it seem like fish oil is almost the 'miracle' pill. They claim it helps for anything. A google search 'benefits of fish oil' confirmed that it does have positive effects on several things. It does make sense to supplement with fish oil, specially if you (like me) eat very little fish in your diet.

Lyndsey
01-19-2008, 09:24 PM
I have also seen many articles about its health benefits. I just worry about the mercury content. Are there any brands of capsules that are checked for mercury levels?

tater03
01-20-2008, 01:03 AM
I was just told today it was so good because it has the Omega 3 oil that is now being said that is so good for everything.

MrsH
01-20-2008, 06:12 AM
I have also seen many articles about its health benefits. I just worry about the mercury content. Are there any brands of capsules that are checked for mercury levels?

Good question. I looked at my husbands bottle of fish oil and there was no information about this. On my prenatal vitamins (who do also have fish oil) it says that they are tested to make sure the mercury level is safe.

I did a google search and it seem like fish oil is safe also in regards to mercury. Apparently the levels of mercury is much much higher in fresh fish then it is in fish oil. If you are very concern about this though, I recommend you talk to your doctor or pharmacist and ask which brand is safe to use.

tater03
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
You know I never even thought about the mercury that might be in it. I am surprised in a way that it is in prenatal vitamins. Isn't mercury one of the things they want you to stay away from while pregnant? I thought I was told not to eat fish because of this. But it has been awhile since I was pregnant so I could be mixing that up with something else.

debrajean
01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
My husband had to take this for awhile as a stool softener and he said it did exactly that.

SageMother
01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
It is probably wise to take any "sweeping news" about substances with a healthy dose of skepticism. There are so many factors that play into observed results that it is impossible to attribute a single substance for an improvemnt in overall health.

3plus3
01-22-2008, 02:32 AM
I think I may have to start taking some fish oil capsules. I mean it can't hurt right?

MrsH
01-22-2008, 07:44 AM
You know I never even thought about the mercury that might be in it. I am surprised in a way that it is in prenatal vitamins. Isn't mercury one of the things they want you to stay away from while pregnant? I thought I was told not to eat fish because of this. But it has been awhile since I was pregnant so I could be mixing that up with something else.

It is possible that you mixing it up with sushi. It is not safe for a pregnant woman to eat many kinds of sushi as they are raw fish. It is safe for pregnant women to eat fish and it is actually encourage, but she will have to eat it within limits because of the mention mercury levels.

ammulu
01-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I am not sure about the various uses of fish oil but when I was a kid my parents gave me this fish oil medicine which on a long term basis cured my asthma completely. I had this problem since I was a kid but I was given this medicine for almost more than 5 yrs and now its completely gone.

tater03
01-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Now that you mention it, it is sushi that pregnant women shouldn't eat. That is so good to hear that your asthma is all gone now.

emsy99
01-23-2008, 12:05 AM
My husband takes fish oil for arthritis. It does seem to help. He takes the oil rather than the capsules. He's been told you would have to have a silly about of capsules ( like, say 20 a day) to have the same effect as a couple of spoons of the oil.

MrsH
01-23-2008, 09:58 AM
So does anyone know more about the different kinds of fish oil. I heard you can take it as oil, flakes or capsules. What is the difference and which one works better?

SageMother
01-23-2008, 02:41 PM
How does the fish oil help his pain? Does it contain vitamins that soothe the nerves?

ammulu
01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Now that you mention it, it is sushi that pregnant women shouldn't eat. That is so good to hear that your asthma is all gone now.

Thank you tater for letting me know. I didn't have any fish during my pregnancy, I only had most of times Chicken, I usually prefer Vegetarian stuff but because of my husband forcing me to have some Chicken I had it. He is more concerned that the baby might also turn up Vegetarian and avoid Chicken which is his favorite and the only one dish he knows to cook real delicious.

emsy99
01-24-2008, 08:41 PM
How does the fish oil help his pain? Does it contain vitamins that soothe the nerves?

Hi, I assume this question is to me? If so, sorry but I really don't know. The doctor recommended it to him. It isn't a pain reliever as such, more that it relieves the actual condition.

I have heard of a few people taking it for this reason.

Liza
01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't remember taking fish oil as a child, but I was given cod liver oil gelatin tablets, I hated them as kids. Is it the same thing. Those were quite beneficial.

baldmonkee
01-26-2008, 02:43 PM
My husband takes fish oil for arthritis. It does seem to help. He takes the oil rather than the capsules. He's been told you would have to have a silly about of capsules ( like, say 20 a day) to have the same effect as a couple of spoons of the oil.

They had recommended both my parents takes fish oil for arthritis, I seemed to hear less complaining of pain after they started so I'm assuming it worked

fiona
01-28-2008, 06:04 AM
I take them for all of the benefits that they do for my body. I also eat fish but I like to have the additional benefits as well. I have a lot of muscle and joint pain problems and it helps those areas.

Liza
01-28-2008, 10:44 PM
I was not aware that fish oil helped with pains, I thought it was good for brain power, that's what we were told as kids. Maybe I need to start taking some.

Liza
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
I went to the pharmacy this morning and asked about fish oil, I clarified if it was the codliver oil gels. I was informed that it was actually omega 3 that was termed as fish oil, so I am making arrangements to get some.

juliemilburn
10-26-2008, 06:47 PM
I've heard that fish liver oils are worse because the pollutants concentrate in the liver and that fish oils made from the flesh are better.

shane90
02-16-2010, 07:01 AM
My husband had to take this for awhile as a stool softener and he said it did exactly that.

The utilisation of fish oil decreases the possibilities of all types of cancerous infection encompassing breast, colon and prostate. The fatty acids discovered in the fish oil is rather cooperative to halt the development of cancerous mass from rather a wholesome cell, it inhibits the redundant development of cell and determinants apoptosis or death or cancerous infection cells.

The fish oil has very implication in stopping the pregnancy difficulty like premature consignment and reduced birth weight. The utilisation of fish oil throughout pregnancy decrease allergy in the newborns, help in development of mind and decrease risk of mail partum depression. It is better to take fish oil throughout the time span of pregnancy.

rooshidavid
04-19-2010, 01:04 PM
This is very good idea. I had used this fish oil. Fish oil is very good for brain. It is called a brain sharper. Consuming of it increases the the alertness, concentration and memory power of the mind. It helped me in my studies.

princecarspian
07-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Fish oil is oil derived from tissues of fatty fish. It is recommended that no quote given for a healthy diet because it contains omega-3 eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid precursors of eicosanoids that reduce inflammation in the body.

aileenroger1
10-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Well, Fish Oil helps in preventing heart problems. The main cause of heart attacks and strokes were built of plaque that can block arteries and block blood flow. When the plaque from the artery wall fallen, it can affect the, strokes. Omega 3 fatty acids may prevent plaque built, thereby reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.

rayfordleal
10-02-2010, 11:26 AM
The reduction of the breast, colon and prostate. And finally, omega-3 fish oil has been shown to prevent the three most common forms of cancer breast, colon and prostate.

claudiajenfer1
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Well, Reduces inflammation of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and gout . The fish oil benefits health comes from EPA and DHA, which reduces the amount of substances that cause inflammation. It also Reduced rates of depression .

dejonthompson01
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Fish oil has been shown to help prevent the three most common cancers. Science tells us that omega-3 fatty acids do so in three ways. They stop the alteration of a normal healthy cell to a cancerous mass, inhibiting unwanted cell growth and causes death or apoptosis of cancer cells.

lisabrown01
11-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Fish oil is a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids known to be a good remedy for acne. Fish oil has a good amount of EPA reduces the production of androgens in the skin. This creates the fat of androgens in the hair follicle, creating acne. The benefits of omega 3 acne will surely help the skin better. It also improve high blood pressure, good for joints, skin, eyes and brain.

elisedavis
11-09-2010, 05:51 AM
Fish oil prevents heart problems, the leading cause of heart attacks and strokes were made of plaque that can clog arteries and block blood flow. When the plaque from the artery wall has fallen, it can affect the, strokes, or what can clog arteries and cause heart attacks. Omega 3 fatty acids may prevent plaque built, thereby reducing the risk of heart attack and stroke.