PDA

View Full Version : Growing veggies at home.

lovetochat
01-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm keen to start growing some veg at home but we don't have a lot of space - we have a fairly big garden but at the moment it is all mature flowerbeds or grass for the kids to play on. I am going to pull up a few bushes when my partner isn't looking and plant some veg - what would you recommend I start with?

lovetochat
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I forgot to say that I am looking to grow something which not only doesn't take up much space but is also fairly foolproof to grow because it needs to be tough to survive my care!

baldmonkee
01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Depends on where you are, I've had good luck with tomatos, pole beans, and peppers, none of which take up very much space.

xanadu324
01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Tomatoes are always a good start because they can pretty much live through anything, I have tomato plants that have managed to live through frost. Another good idea would be carrots, they are simple enough, plus they taste great. There, of course, is also the option of going to a organic food store and picking up one of the box sets for growing your own herbs and spices. It will give you a chance to start out (the directions are on the box, plain as day) as well as maybe hone your green thumb a little. It may also help you to choose some new spices or herbs that you weren't familiar with that you realize you like, and you can incorporate them into your daily meals!

lovetochat
01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Don't tomato plants need a lot of watering? Carrots is a good idea, all the family eat them so that is a good start. And some herbs and spices should be easy enough as well. We have a big bush of rosemary in our garden and that is great, survives anything and is available all year. Which other herbs are like that? I have tried growing some before but none were tough enough to survive my neglect. I do try, honest, but the plants don't shout as loud as my kids!

MrsH
01-17-2008, 06:03 AM
I think chived and parsley should be pretty easy too. I remember we had them in our veggie garden as kids. You can also get a ceramic pot with holes all over which is perfect to grow strawberries in. Nothing is better then homegrown strawberries.

xanadu324
01-18-2008, 10:49 AM
I believe that parsley is pretty easy to grow, but it's not much in the spice category as it is just a garnish, and used to freshen breath.
I think maybe you just need some reconditioning.
Set a certain time of day when you will always feed/water the plants. That way it's at the same time every day, and it will be after something you just did.

Example: take the dog for a walk, feed/water the plants. That way, you know that if you (or someone else) just walked the dog, it's time to water the plants.

Hey, you never know, it may work!

lovetochat
01-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes you are right, I should do it like that. I'm hoping that if I plant some veg and herbs, I will be super keen to look after them. Jobs are always easier as part of a routine so you are right, I will have to make more of an effort to incorporate it into my day. So many things I keep meaning to do....

Lyndsey
01-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Carrots are pretty resistant. As for herbs, mint tends to take over any available space, so maybe avoid that. Rosemary and thyme go with many things and are not too finicky.

xanadu324
01-20-2008, 09:02 AM
I didn't even think of thyme! That's a great one, and like Lyndsay said, it really can go on a lot of things, same with rosemary. I usually add rosemary to my mashed potatoes, good stuff.

debrajean
01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, carrots and melons are high on my list of must-do planting.

Liza
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I had a little vegetable garden once where I grew sweet peppers, peas, greens or callaloo. My brother also had some tomatoes and some yams.

baldmonkee
01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I've always had a veggie garden but never once have tried to grow my own herbs, this thread has really got me thinking

fiona
01-28-2008, 06:09 AM
I grow tomatoes, red bell peppers, and hot red peppers. I also grow thyme, aloe vera (for internal and external use), and squash. The squash runs around the the other vegetables, so it looks a bit like a mini jungle however I am always able to find the tomatoes and such.

Jewel
02-10-2008, 03:06 AM
I would absolutely love to grow my own fruits and vegetables, but I live in a condo and don't even have a yard. I hope to do something like that once I get my own home though.

SageMother
02-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Don't tomato plants need a lot of watering? Carrots is a good idea, all the family eat them so that is a good start. And some herbs and spices should be easy enough as well. We have a big bush of rosemary in our garden and that is great, survives anything and is available all year. Which other herbs are like that? I have tried growing some before but none were tough enough to survive my neglect. I do try, honest, but the plants don't shout as loud as my kids!

Even though tomatos might take a bit more water, they are worth every drop. The flavor of a home grown tomato is much better than those at a grocers. I believe they are better for you!

fiona
02-11-2008, 06:25 AM
I agree the tomatoes grown in a home garden do taste a lot better and I found that they taste sweeter too.

Jewel
02-12-2008, 09:02 AM
My grandparents grow their own peppers, and those are definitely the best peppers that I have ever had. They have a lot more flavor than ones I buy at the store. I would love to try their home grown tomatoes but haven't yet.

RFL1986
02-13-2008, 06:01 PM
My stepbrother is a chef and grows all of his own vegetables which is fantastic. You can taste the difference for sure when the food is fresh from the ground. When I have a place with a bit more space I want to grow peppers, tomatoes and a few other ones for my own cooking.

katharina
02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
I agree the tomatoes grown in a home garden do taste a lot better and I found that they taste sweeter too.

Oh yes, they're wonderful! To answer the original question, I agree about tomatoes being a good place to start. When I've done it, though, I bought the starter plants, I didn't start from seeds. Peppers are pretty easy, like someone said. Cucumbers are easy... peas are easy but the yield isn't so great if you're feeding more than one or two people.

RFL1986
02-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Yep, I tried growing tomatoes once right from the seeds and it didn't go well at all but the next summer I used starter plants and had much better results. A lot of veggies are easy to grow if you do a tiny bit of trial and error.

riskey58
02-14-2008, 09:11 PM
My husband had a small garden last year, We didn't grow a lot but it was neat going out and picking things from your own garden. We are going to try it again this year. Maybe we will make it a little bigger.

Green-Moo
02-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I always suggest salad leaves and beans to new gardeners. There are varieties of each which suit most climates & they are attractive to grow. Some beans have beautiful flowers. Beans can be trained up trellises etc so take up little space. With the salad leaves, try cut & come again varieties & you will be harvesting your first leaves within weeks. Plant a little each week & you will always have a supply.

Green-Moo

RFL1986
02-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Those are good suggestions. My favourite thing to do with having my own grown vegetables is to go out and pick items for a stir-fry. There's not much better than cooking one up from veggies just picked out of the ground. It's a great idea to get a lot of use from them too.

Green-Moo
02-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Another idea if you are lacking space due to flower beds & lawn is to grow some veg in post. They can look really attractive, you can move them to suit the growing conditions, and of course they aren't permanent so if it's not right for you it's not a problem. You don't have to spend loads of money either, all sorts of things can be utilised as garden planters. Do make sure you give them decent drainage though, and it's worth investing in decent compost.

Green-Moo

laxairporthotels
10-27-2010, 01:42 PM
My half brother is a chef and is growing their own vegetables, which is great. You can certainly taste the difference when the food is fresh from the country. When I place a little more space I want to grow peppers, tomatoes and a few others are their kitchen.

dain45yl
11-06-2010, 05:09 AM
I think chived and parsley should be pretty easy too. I remember we had them in our veggie garden as kids. You can also get a ceramic pot with holes all over which is perfect to grow strawberries in. Nothing is better then homegrown strawberries.

kasrar28
01-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I grow mint , tomato, chilies and garlic at home. somtime i grow coriander in pot and it smells great