PDA

View Full Version : Do they really work?

ammulu
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I have seen many of the creams or pills that say they would surely be helpful in weight loss, do anyone believe so or is it not? They even say that exercising and diet to some extent are a must for the pills or creams to work.

MrsH
01-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I believe some of these pills and creams as you are referring to do work as a quick fix. For example one of my co-worker tried a shake diet and she did lose some weight. However. Using these things do not change you lifestyle, so as soon as you stop using them you will most likely gain weight again. So even though doing the old fashion way (diet and exercise)takes much longer it is the only way to change your lifestyle and make sure the weight stay of.

SageMother
01-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Pills that speed up metabolism, or dehydrate the user, work as temporary weight loss measures and may be the perfect way to begin a weight loss program, but you really need to change how you eat permanently to keep weight off.

I have yet to see any cream that works for weight loss.

ammulu
01-13-2008, 04:52 AM
My cousin tried out Slim-Fast pills but that isn't of great help and she still seems to be the same to look at, may be she needs to exercise as well as eat less to really lose weight.

MrsH
01-13-2008, 06:39 AM
I am a bit worried about what all these stuff does to your body. I have heard of one pill that makes you 'poop' oil and well it just sounds gross and not very healthy. I think I prefer to eat better and more healthy over taking pills.

Jewel
01-13-2008, 07:39 AM
I think that certain pills are a good temporary fix, but nothing that is going to work forever. My mom used TrimSpa for a while, and that did nothing for her. Now she drinks Slim Fast (didn't know they had pills) and that is working for her. I haven't heard of the creams though.

SageMother
01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Trim Spa was sued for making false claims, so there was something wrong with their formulation. Pills are great for people with tight schedules or who need to address their weight issues immediately with an eye toward shifting to more "natural" means.

ammulu
01-13-2008, 03:22 PM
My cousin found the pills in the mall, I am not sure where but I never knew about the drinks. How about the television ads where they say they would provide with some diet food on weekly basis to lose weight, did anyone try those out?

baldmonkee
01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Trim Spa was sued for making false claims, so there was something wrong with their formulation. Pills are great for people with tight schedules or who need to address their weight issues immedeiately with an eye toward shifting to more "natural" means.

That pill that advertises that it gets rid of "belly fat" by lowering the hormone Cortisol was also sued for making false claims. I think if possible, people should tried and avoid anything that sounds too good to be true, because it probably is. In my opinion, to truly be healthy and reach your weight loss goals you need to make a total lifestyle change.

debrajean
01-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I agree a lifestyle change in how you look at food and how you eat it is the staple in a lifelong weight loss. In the past I've tried diet pills (dexatrim b4 it was banned) and I did lose upwards of 25 to 30 lbs. But it was all gained back when I stopped taking them. And while on them, I suffered from severe lightheadness, moodiness, heart palpitations and jitters. Diet pills, although a quick fix for some, are not a long term solution.

baldmonkee
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
I agree a lifestyle change in how you look at food and how you eat it is the staple in a lifelong weight loss. In the past I've tried diet pills (dexatrim b4 it was banned) and I did lose upwards of 25 to 30 lbs. But it was all gained back when I stopped taking them. And while on them, I suffered from severe lightheadness, moodiness, heart palpitations and jitters. Diet pills, although a quick fix for some, are not a long term solution.

You have to be really careful, a diet aid may not work at all, or it may help melt away the pounds temporarily while simultaneously having you in the doctors office with a dangerous medical condition, very scary in my opinion

SageMother
01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
One of the problems with ads is they talk about all this weight loss but don't say that the person added an exercise program and changed their diet while usng the pills.

If a product says it makes you lose weight, but then includes and exercies prpogram and diet, the pill isn't doing the work, and the company is engaging in false adverstising!

tater03
01-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I just don't think that even if you find one that does work that it will keep the weight off for any length of time especially once you stop taking them.

3plus3
01-22-2008, 02:21 AM
I really haven't seen where any of the pills or creams work. Usually it is a lifestyle change (no soda drinking, more exercise) that works.

SageMother
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
My cousin tried out Slim-Fast pills but that isn't of great help and she still seems to be the same to look at, may be she needs to exercise as well as eat less to really lose weight.

I haven't tried the Slim Fast pills but did try their weight loss program a few years back. I would never do it again because the drinks are basically a glass of lowfat milk. The other problem is that the drinks are sweet. If I want to replace a meal, I want the replacement to taset like real food and not dessert!

Liza
01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I try to avoid the pills and creams mainly because they don't work for me, but also because I find that eating properly over an extended period of time does give positive results.

ammulu
01-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I did check out the ad for Slim fast and they said it would work along with exercise & diet. So, this means that the pills are not doing the work, it is the diet and the exercise that is working for you. I would never try to use it again ever.

baldmonkee
01-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I did check out the ad for Slim fast and they said it would work along with exercise & diet. So, this means that the pills are not doing the work, it is the diet and the exercise that is working for you. I would never try to use it again ever.

Isn't that amazing, they tell you it works "with diet and exercise" what a lot of people don't realize is that if they just paid attention to their diet and exercised regularly, they wouldn't need the slim fast.

SageMother
01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
One pill that can work well in phentermine, but you have to take it long enough to break your old eating habits. If you return to your old way of eating the opportunity for permanent change is blown.

MrsH
01-24-2008, 10:54 AM
One pill that can work well in phentermine, but you have to take it long enough to break your old eating habits. If you return to your old way of eating the opportunity for permanent change is blown.

Is that the pill that you only get after a consultation with a doctor or the pharmacist? I heard of a pill like that, but I can not remember the name. I like that it was only given after a consulation though, to make sure it was used right.

ammulu
01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I totally agree with you Baldmonkee. The ad on the television says the line "With diet & exercise" in a very low voice which is almost ignored if not paid good attention. Easy way to takecare of your weight is to eat healthy and short meals, can be more number of times per day.

MrsH
01-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I guess the reason for why all these things do sell is because people are lazy and want quick results. It is very easy to forget that it took years to gain all the weight packed on, so you can expect it to go away in a couple of weeks.

Jewel
01-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Losing a significant amount of weight definitely requires a lifestyle change, and it's not going to happen overnight, at least not in a healthy maner.

ammulu
01-26-2008, 10:30 PM
People tend to feel they can lose weight instantly instead of trying it other way of exercising and diet controlling. I have seen some who are really lazy enough to even watch out what they are eating.

debrajean
01-27-2008, 10:41 AM
The other thing, if you notice, is that with each pill it recommends an 8 ounce glass of water with it and they want you to take a pill b4 each meal, with water. Now think about it, drs. when putting someone on a diet, generally recommend an 8 oz glass of water b4 a meal to get a feeling of fullness so you don't eat as much. If you're doing this anyway, what's the point of the pill?

dreamr802
01-27-2008, 04:40 PM
honestly I don't believe that they work. I think its more psychological. You'll be taking these pills that make you not hungry...so if you really believe that they won't make you hungry you will trick your mind into thinking that you really aren't hungry, therefore you will lose weight because you aren't eating as much.

fiona
01-28-2008, 05:33 AM
I have tried some of those and I ended up pretty dehydrated and malnourished. I did lose weight however for the side effects that I went through it did not seem worth it in the end.

ammulu
01-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Yeah Debrajean I did check out the 8 glasses of water options too. Generally it is said to be the best way to have a healthy personality. People tend to rule out one more option which my grandma used to tell me that is to drink a glass of water immediately after you wakeup and brush. It surely helps to provide a healthy body.

jonesboon
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
I think some of these pills and creams, you are talking to act quickly to repair. For example, a worker in my diet and tried to shake him to lose weight. Dog. Use these things do not change the style of living when you stop using, you probably gain weight again. Therefore, although the former is much longer than the only way to change your lifestyle and to ensure that the remaining weight.